One talking point we are likely to hear a lot of, especially from Democrat politicos in pro-gun states (Joe Manchin, call you’re office…they want to know why you’re still listed as a Democrat), is that they are going to protect the rights of hunters to own guns.
This is all-too-common happy talk about how legitimate hunters and sportsmen are not the problem. Rather, it is those knuckle-dragging survivalists/militia types who inhabit godforsaken places in Alaska, Idaho and Montana.
Hunting is fine; it’s a good use for guns. But in no way is it why we have the right to keep and bear arms. This from Wikipedia, gets the reasons behind the Second Amendment right:
- enabling the people to organize a militia system.
- participating in law enforcement;
- deterring tyrannical government;
- repelling invasion;
- suppressing insurrection, allegedly including slave revolts;
- facilitating a natural right of self-defense
Yes, weapons are also used for hunting, always have been. But that’s not why we have the Second Amendment.